Is your business based in Welwyn Hatfield? If so, we need your views. Please complete our short survey to help us achieve an environment in which businesses can thrive.

Street trading

Street Trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street; this includes food such as burgers, kebabs, doughnuts etc. or other items such as household goods.

Licensing images

Food traders must be registered with Environmental Health.

The council has a new street trading policy that is currently out for consultation:  

Responses can be made by post to the licensing office (address below) or by email to licensing@welhat.gov.uk and must be received by 10th August 2018.

Data Protection

A summary of the consultation responses, as well as copies of all responses may be made available on the Welwyn Hatfield Council website within two months after the consultation has closed. This data will be anonymized. It is assumed therefore, that your reply can be made publicly available. Please contact the licensing team if you do not wish to make your response available.

Where can I trade?

The council has decided to class roads as either

  • Prohibited - where NO trading is allowed at all
  • Consent - where a consent is needed

It is a criminal offence to trade in a prohibited street, or to trade in a consent street without having a valid consent. The maximum penalty is a fine of up to £1,000.

You do not need a Street Trading Consent if you are:

  • a pedlar with a pedlar's certificate
  • in a designated trunk road picnic area (there are none of these in Welwyn Hatfield)
  • as a news vendor selling only newspapers/magazines
  • at a petrol station
  • as a roundsman with regular customers
  • a market trader operating at a licensed market venue

pdf icon Fees & Charges 2018-2019 [955KB]

Powered by GOSS iCM