Dog warden service

The street wardens are responsible for the dog warden service.

They also deal with contained stray dogs.

Dog fouling

It is every dog owner's responsibility to clean up after their dog (For more information on dog fouling please see the government's website).

To help counter dog fouling issues, the council have installed 200 dog bins, dog fouling notices and will consider issuing Fixed Penalty Notices to those who do not clean up after their dog in public places.

Please report problems with dog waste bins by filling in our dog litter bin report form or by calling 01707 357000.

Nuisance from barking                 

Barking dogs and other animal noise is controlled under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. If you would like to report a concern over a barking dog, please contact the Environmental Health. They will require an address of where the alleged noise nuisance is coming from. If you require the service out of office hours, please ring 0800 111 4484.

Dangerous dogs

A dog is classed as dangerous and out of control if:

  • it injures a person;
  • it behaves in a way that makes a person worried that it might injure them; or,
  • if your dog is dangerously out of control in its own home or garden, which causes the police or anyone else to be worried that the dog is a risk.

The police should be contacted concerning dangerous or banned dogs, to contact them ring 101.

Contained animals and animal welfare

If you are concerned about the welfare of an animal or if you suspect that an animal of any kind is being subjected to cruelty please contact the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) on 0300 1234 999.

The council's Licensing Team have some responsibilities for Animal Welfare relating to Animal Licensing.

Powered by GOSS iCM