Our Local Plan has now been submitted for examination. Hearing sessions can be viewed online here.

Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register

What is the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Register?

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 (as amended by the Housing and Planning Act 2016) places a duty on local authorities to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land in the authority's area for self-build or custom housebuilding

The information gathered will help Welwyn Hatfield assess the demand for serviced plots of land within the borough.


In order to be eligible to enter onto the Register, every applicant must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Aged 18 or over;
  • A British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland: and confirm that they
  • Are seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the authority's area to build their own self-build or custom housebuilding.

You can either register as an individual or as an association.

If you are a household (comprising 2 or more persons), please do not submit multiple applications if you are jointly seeking a single plot of land. Please nominate your lead contact on this form.

Click here to apply as an Individual

If you are applying as an Association please complete the interactive Association Application form below. Please note that the form does not submit in Google Chrome, please therefore use Internet Explorer or download the form to your computer.

pdf icon Associations Self Build Registration Form [414KB]




Powered by GOSS iCM