Please be aware that some residents have reported receiving scam emails claiming to be about a 'Council Tax Refund'. A genuine notification will not ask you to click on a link within the email, and any email asking for personal details would come directly from a member of the Council Tax team with a welhat.gov.uk email address. 

Please do not click on a link within, or submit any personal details in response to, an email which you suspect may not be genuine. If you require further clarification about an email please contact the Council Tax office on 01707 357000 or c.tax@welhat.gov.uk. For more advice and information on fraudulent emails please visit the gov.uk website.

Who pays Council Tax

Normally the person who lives in a property will have to pay the Council Tax.

Are you liable?

The first person that appears in the list below should pay.

  • an owner occupier or the owner occupiers
  • a tenant or tenants
  • a licensee
  • someone who lives in the property with no security of tenure

Exception to the rule

Certain rules apply for example where someone suffers from a severe mental impairment or where a full time student lives with someone who is not a student.

There are also times when the owner will have to pay rather than the resident, for example:

  • properties that are nobody's main home
  • homes where the tenants have separate tenancy agreements for part of the property or where it has been adapted for partial occupation (for example bedsits)
  • care homes, nursing homes, and night shelters
  • religious communities (monasteries or convents)
  • properties which are not the owner's main home but are occupied by their domestic staff
  • homes where a minister of religion lives and works
  • properties occupied by asylum seekers who are receiving support directly from the Home Office.

If any of these apply to you, please contact us.

We also have a section explaining Discounts and Exemptions.

Powered by GOSS iCM