Make an application

Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

Alternatively you can apply using the Icon for pdf Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction Claim Form or Icon for pdf Council Tax Reduction Claim Form. Please note a telephone call to our office does not count as a claim.

Usually we will pay benefit from the Monday after we receive your claim form in the office. It is important that you make your claim as soon as you can, even if you do not have all the information we may ask for.

Unless you are claiming Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance you must complete one of the council's own benefit application forms.


Other ways to apply

You can also get one by:


Help with applying

If you would like someone else to help you claim benefit, such as a member of your family or a friend, a written request must be made to us.  Please read the Appointees information leaflet and download the Appointees Form.

If you are claiming Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance you will receive a claim pack from Jobcentre Plus which will include a claim form for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction. You need to complete this form and return it to the Department of Work and Pensions with your completed form for Income Support/Job Seekers Allowance. They will forward your claim to us.

If you do not hear from us within two weeks of completing your claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction you should contact us immediately.

If you are housebound and need help to fill in a claim form you should contact us to arrange a home visit.

If you are a couple, you and your partner have to make a joint claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction. This means we need information about both your incomes and savings and you will both have to sign the claim form.