If you are on a low income and live in the Borough of Welwyn Hatfield in supported, sheltered or emergency housing you can:

  • apply to the Council for Housing Benefit to help pay your rent
  • include an application for Council Tax support to help you pay your Council Tax

Council Tax support is:

  • restricted to 75% of your liability - this means that everyone has to pay a minimum of 25% of their bill
  • limited to a band E property - if your property is in band F, G or H, Council Tax support will be limited to 75% of the charge for a band E property

Universal Credit or Housing Benefit?

You should apply to the Department for Work and Pensions for Universal Credit to help with:

  • your rent to a private landlord
  • your rent and some service charges if you rent from a housing association or a private landlord

You should claim Housing Benefit through us if:

  • you receive a Severe Disability Premium as part of your Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance
  • you are living in temporary accommodation or supported accommodation
  • you have reached pensionable age
  • you are currently receiving Housing Benefit and you have changed your address within the borough

Apply for Housing Benefit

You should apply for Housing Benefit as soon as possible. You can do so in two ways:

You must supply evidence to support your application. This includes proof of your: ​

  • identification​ (passport or driving licence)
  • income​ (payslip or National Insurance Number)
  • capital​ (properties, businesses)
  • residence​ (utility bill)
  • benefits​
  • household residents​ (number of people living in the property)
  • partner's income or other working residents living in the property

You are unlikely to be eligible for housing benefit and/or council tax support if you:

  • have over £16,000 in savings and capital
  • are a full time student (there are some exceptions)
  • live in the same household as, and pay rent to, a close relative, an in-law, or your employer

You can use the benefits calculator as a guide to see what support you may be entitled to.

You can also seek independent advice and support by calling Citizens Advice on 03444 111 444.

Further information on other benefits, discounts and exemptions can be viewed on the council tax homepage.

We will review and process your application within 16 working days.

We may also be in contact to request further information and evidence to support your claim.

Apply for council tax and housing benefit support

*Our online service currently unavailable. Please complete and a return an application using the link above.