The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) requires councils to prepare an action plan where housing delivery has fallen below their housing requirement.
This Action Plan (see Related Media) seeks to identify the main issues associated with housing delivery in the borough and the main actions that can be taken by the Council and other parties to speed up delivery.
The plan reviews Government guidance, considers the views of relevant stakeholders and analyses existing data and other knowledge in order to identify a series of actions that will be taken over the coming months and years to help increase housing delivery.
In summary these actions are:
- Continue to determine planning applications for housing schemes as fast as reasonably possible.
- Continue to consider the necessity of planning conditions for housing permissions.
- Continue to discharge planning conditions for housing schemes as fast as reasonably possible.
- Continue to prepare Section 106 agreements as fast as reasonably possible.
- Work with Hertfordshire County Council to prepare Section 106 agreements involving contributions for their services as fast as reasonably possible.
- Progress the adoption of the Local Plan.
- Review the determination of minor applications, particularly those that are refused, to see whether there is more than can be done to get them approved.
- Review the scope for technology and modernisation to improve pre-application advice and the handling of planning applications.