Help with paying your Council Tax

You can claim Council Tax Support to help you pay your Council Tax bill. You can only claim Council Tax Support if you are the person named on the Council Tax bill.

There are two types of Council Tax Support:

  • Council Tax Support is the more common way of reducing your Council Tax bill. How much support you can claim will depend on your income and circumstances.
  • Second Adult Rebate You may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate if you have another adult living with you who is not your partner, and you are considered of pensionable age. Second Adult Rebate is worked out based upon the income and circumstances of the other adults living with you.

Both these ways of reducing your bill cannot be claimed at the same time. When you contact us at we will always work out which type is worth more to you.

Any support you are entitled to will be paid directly into your Council Tax account and you will receive a reduced bill. For more information see the Icon for pdf Council Tax Support Scheme Regulations.

Discounts and Exemptions

You might be eligible for a discount or exemption from paying Council Tax depending on your circumstances.

Council Tax Support Hardship Relief

If you are receiving Council Tax Support but you still have difficulty paying your council tax you may be able to get extra financial help.
The Council has a limited amount of money each year that can be spent to help people with their council tax charge if they are suffering exceptional hardship. This extra help is called Council Tax Support Hardship Relief, for more information, or to apply download the  Icon for pdf Application for Council Tax Hardship Relief Fund.