If you are in receipt of Housing Benefit and a Council Tax Reduction but you still cannot meet your accommodation costs, we operate a Discretionary Housing Payment scheme, through which we may be able to give you additional help.

Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council receives some money from the Government towards the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme. The amount we can spend is limited and we will not be able to help everyone who applies.

Who can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment?

You must be in receipt of some Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction to be able to claim a Discretionary Housing Payment, and you will not receive more than the shortfall in your weekly eligible rent or weekly Council Tax liability.

We can only make a Discretionary Housing Payment under exceptional circumstances - for example during a period where you have unforeseen expenses. We may be able to make a Discretionary Housing Payment where the Rent Officer has restricted your rent but you have a particular reason for renting that specific property, or your rent is more than the Local Housing Allowance Rate.

The amount awarded is entirely at the discretion of Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council. Each individual case will be considered on its own merits. We will look at the individual circumstances of your claim and will consider the other options available to you before deciding whether to award a Discretionary Housing Payment.

  • We cannot make a Discretionary Housing Payment to help with service charges not covered by the benefit scheme - such as heating, lighting, hot water, and other fuel costs or water rates, sewerage or other environmental costs.
  • We cannot make a Discretionary Housing Payment to make up for any reduction in other social security benefits as a result of any sanctions applied by the Benefits Agency. (for example a reduction in your Income Support)

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments*

* this opens a PDF form, if you are unable to access the form please contact us at benefits@welhat.gov.uk

Council Tax Support Hardship Relief

If you are receiving Council Tax Support but you still have difficulty paying your council tax you may be able to get extra financial help.
The Council has a limited amount of money each year that can be spent to help people with their council tax charge if they are suffering exceptional hardship. This extra help is called Council Tax Support Hardship Relief, for more information, or to apply download the  Icon for pdf Application for Council Tax Hardship Relief Fund.

Additional Benefits Information