If you have been overpaid Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, for example because you have started work, we will notify you by letter and send you an invoice for the Housing Benefit element of your overpayment.


Paying back your overpayment

The Council Tax element of your overpayment will usually be added to your Council Tax bill.

You can pay this invoice in a variety of ways. If you still have a benefit entitlement we will recover the overpayment from you by reducing the amount of benefit you receive.

If you are no longer entitled to benefit, you must pay the invoice. You can do this in a variety of ways:

  • over the internet
  • at the bank or post office
  • by credit/debit card.
  • by cash
  • cheque

Cheques should be made payable to Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council, quoting your housing benefit overpayment invoice number on the back of the cheque.

The Council's bank details are:

HSBC Welwyn Garden City
Sort code: 40-46-08
Account number: 41020900.

Please quote the invoice number as your reference number.

If you are a private tenant and we have paid your benefit directly to your Landlord, we may attempt to recover from them. However it is more likely that we will attempt to recover any overpayment from you, and you should make arrangements with your landlord for adjustment of your rent account.


Help with paying back your overpayment

If you cannot afford to pay the invoice in one go, you must contact us and we may make an arrangement for you to pay by instalments. If you do not pay according to the agreement this option will be withdrawn.


Additional Benefits Information