European Parliamentary Election - Eastern Region

The European Parliamentary elections took place on Thursday 23 May 2019.

View European election details

Benefit claimants returning to work may be eligible for an extra four weeks of Housing and/or Council Tax Reduction. (These are known as "Extended Payments")

It is paid at the same rate that you were receiving prior to starting work or increasing your hours, even if do not normally qualify for further help because of your increased income.

You must tell the council about this change within 4 weeks of starting work or increasing your hours. If you delay you may lose your entitlement.

Who can get Extended Payments?

To receive an Extended Payment, your Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance (income based), Employment Support Allowance or Incapacity Benefit must have stopped because:

  • You or your partner are starting work
  • You or your partner are going to work more hours
  • You or your partner's earnings are going to increase.
  • Your new job or extra hours must be expected to last at least 5 weeks.
  • You must be in receipt of Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance (income based), or Employment Support Allowance or Incapacity Benefit at the time you find work or increase your hours - and for the past 26 weeks (without a break).
  • You must be liable to pay rent or Council Tax for at least another 5 weeks.
  • There are strict requirements to satisfy in order to qualify for extended payments.

Please contact us on 01707 357000 or or the Department of Work and Pensions for advice on whether you may qualify.