Private arrangements must be made for the disposal of commercial (trade) waste via either a suitably licensed facility or, alternatively, a designated and licensed waste disposal contractor. This is a service that will have to be paid for.

Our waste collection partner, Urbaser, provides commercial waste services across Welwyn Hatfield. For more information contact 01242 248880 or email  Alternatively, you can check the online waste carrier register using the link below.

Duty of care

The Environmental Protection Act (EPA) 1990 (s34) introduces a 'Duty of Care' to commercial, industrial and trade premises. This states that reasonable measures must be taken to store and present waste appropriately, whether that be in a container, skip, sack etc (depending on the type and quantity of waste) and to prevent it from escaping into the environment.

It is your responsibility to ensure the legality of the company you use, as you remain liable for your waste if it is disposed of incorrectly. Businesses must ensure the company used is reputable, and a registered waste carrier (only legally recognised disposal companies will have a waste carrier's license).

Check the online waste carrier register

Alternatively you call the Environment Agency on 03708 506 506 to check if a waste carrier is registered.

You also need to maintain records (Waste Transfer Notes) to demonstrate that you have disposed of your waste responsibly. These should accurately describe the waste in character and quantity.



The contact details of waste disposal sites and private waste companies can be found in telephone directories or on the internet.

Please see our clinical waste page for more information on disposing of this type of waste.