COVID-19 (Coronavirus) - Housing Allocations

In light of the government guidelines on social distancing, we will only be allocating properties and expecting applicants to view and move into them, where it is absolutely necessary.

Find out more

Anyone is eligible to make an application for housing but only those most in need are eligible to join the Housing Needs Register (the waiting list).

Anyone who is over the age of 16 years is able to join the register unless:

  • The Exceptional Circumstances Panel has decided that the behaviour of an applicant (or a member of their household) is unacceptable and is of a serious enough nature to make him or her unsuitable as a tenant. The Panel will consider all available, relevant facts and circumstances before making this decision. Unacceptable behaviour includes providing false or misleading information.
  • An applicant is subject to immigration control or is not habitually resident as described by law.
  • An applicant does not have a recognised housing need as outlined in the Housing Allocations Policy.
  • An applicant does not have a local connection as outlined in the Housing Allocations Policy.


The importance of a local connection

The council is committed to supporting sustainable communities by providing homes for applicants with a connection to this borough. In order to be seen as having a local connection with the Welwyn Hatfield borough you must demonstrate local residency, local employment, or a close family connection.

Please note: Only applicants who can show a valid local connection will be able to join the waiting list, although in exceptional circumstances, applicants with no local connection may be able to join the list.

Any applicant who owns a home either in the UK or abroad, regardless of their local connection to Welwyn Hatfield, will be considered to have sufficient financial means to resolve their own housing situation and will not qualify to join the Housing Needs Register.

The following individuals/households will be exempt from requiring a local connection to join the register:

  • A person who is serving in the regular forces or has done so in the five years preceding the date of their application to join the Housing Needs Register.
  • Bereaved spouses or civil partners of those serving in the regular forces where their spouse or partner's death is attributable (wholly or partly) to their service and the bereaved spouse or civil partner's entitlement to reside in Ministry of Defence accommodation then ceases.
  • Seriously injured, ill or disabled reservists (or former reservists) whose injury, illness or disability is attributable wholly or partly to their service.
  • Any household accepted as homeless under part VII of the Housing Act 1996.
  • Any household who is accepted as having a 'Right to Move' from social housing in another Local authority area.

Exceptions will be made for applicants with no local connection or housing need who are over the age of 60 and are registering for sheltered accommodation.


Existing council tenants

We accept applications from council or Registered Provider tenants, but they must give vacant possession of the property that they are leaving.


Making a joint application with someone else

We will accept joint applications from people who wish to live together as a couple.

In the interests of maximising the use of our housing stock we will consider prioritising applications from tenants who, by forming a household with another tenant, will give vacant possession of two properties to the council and/or a local Registered Provider (that the council nominates to). If we agree to this proposal, the application of the tenant greater housing need will be awarded Band B priority and a clear link will be made to his/her partner's application. Each decision is made on a discretionary basis by the Housing Allocations Manager and the application will be subject to the usual checks. If one of the applicants has already been awarded Band A priority, no further priority will be awarded to either application.


Applying if you have a joint tenancy

If you have a joint tenancy and cannot decide who should leave the home, you should contact a solicitor for legal advice and speak to your Neighbourhood Housing Officer about your situation. In such cases, the courts will normally decide which tenant should leave the home.

Once the tenancy is resolved, there is no automatic right to immediate rehousing for the person who leaves the home, and they must normally make their own living arrangements whilst waiting on the Housing Needs Register.


Children who live with you

All young people under the age of 18 will be treated as children for the purposes of housing allocations. Anyone 16 or older, living with their parents, will be eligible to have their own housing application as well as being on their parents' housing application. We reserve the right not to offer larger, family accommodation to households that include an adult member (including 16 & 17 year olds) who is imminently due to be housed separately to their parent(s).

Once your youngest child reaches 18, you will no longer be able to queue for two bedroom houses.


Contact with children

We do not offer family-sized accommodation to an applicant who has contact with children that are not living with them.