You may be entitled to money off your bill. The amount of help you get depends on your personal circumstances, your income and your savings.


You can use our calculator to work out whether you are eligible for support before you making a claim. Access the calculator using the benefit entitlement check button above.


How and when to claim

You should contact us at to make a claim.

  • Only those named on the Council Tax bill can claim. 
  • You should make a claim as soon as you think you need to because the reduction cannot normally be backdated.
  • If you know your circumstances are going to change, you can claim up to eight weeks before the change is due to happen.


Council Tax Support Hardship Relief

If you are receiving Council Tax Support but you still have difficulty paying your council tax you may be able to get extra financial help.
The Council has a limited amount of money each year that can be spent to help people with their council tax charge if they are suffering exceptional hardship. This extra help is called Council Tax Support Hardship Relief, for more information, or to apply download the Icon for pdf Council Tax Hardship Relief Fund.


Council Tax Reduction Scheme

The Council Tax Reduction Scheme helps people on low or no incomes pay their Council Tax, for more information visit the Council Tax Reduction Scheme page.


Other benefits

If you make a claim for Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based), you can claim Council Tax Support at the same time. The Benefits Agency should pass the form to us but we do recommend you also contact us at .

Forms are available from our council offices or by calling us.


Discounts and exemptions

Your council tax bill can also be reduced due to other circumstances. See Discounts and exemptions.


Change of circumstances

If you claim Council Tax Support and/or Second Adult Rebate, you must keep us informed about any changes happening to you and the people living with you that may affect the amount you are entitled to receive.

Even small changes may affect how much we can pay you. See changes you must tell us about