Blue Badges enable holders to park near shops, stations and other facilities.
The Blue Badge is recognised throughout Europe. To apply for a Blue Badge contact Hertfordshire County Council.
Residents wishing to apply for an advisory disabled bay outside of their homes, will need to contact Adult Social Care and Disability Services on tel: 0300 123 4042.
They will contact Herts County Council on the residents behalf and an assessment will be carried out to see whether they qualify for an advisory disabled bay
Avoid parking tickets with your Blue Badge
When using your Blue Badge to park on yellow lines or in a disabled parking space, please be aware that:
- You must display the badge on top of the dashboard or fascia panel of the vehicle
- The wheelchair-user symbol should face forward, making the expiry date legible from the outside of the vehicle
- The parking disc must also be displayed and must be set to show the time of arrival
- If your vehicle does not have a dashboard or fascia panel you must display the badge and disc in a conspicuous position, so that the relevant details are legible from outside the vehicle
- Badges last for up to three years. Apply for a new blue badge several weeks before it expires.
Where does my Blue Badge enable me to park?
Providing that individuals display their badge in line with the above instructions, blue badge holders are entitled to park in the following restricted areas;
- Residential Parking Permit Zone - Blue Badge holders are permitted to park inside any Residential Parking Permit Zone within the borough for an unlimited amount of time. A complete list of our permit zones can be found on resident parking permit areas page.
- On-street parking areas with limited waiting period - In areas where there is a limited waiting period, for example 'one hour no return within one hour', as in Welwyn Garden City, Blue Badge holders are permitted to park for an unlimited amount of time.
- On-street disabled bays - Our on-street disabled bays are time limited, which means drivers will also need to display their blue parking clock. Details of time restrictions for each bay will be clearly presented on surrounding signage. There are a total of 23 on-street disabled parking spaces in Welwyn Garden City, these are free of charge for Blue Badge holders. Information on disabled parking bays in Welwyn Garden City town centre is available to download.
- Double/ single yellow lines - Blue Badge holders are permitted to park on either single or double yellow lines for up to three hours. Drivers will need to display both their badge and their parking clock. This exemption does not extend to sections of line that form part of a restriction on loading or unloading. Such areas will be marked with yellow kerb dashes and/or signage
What about off-street parking?
Welwyn Garden City town centre car parks:
All users of the council's Welwyn Garden City town centre car parks, including Blue Badge holders, are charged to park.
Hatfield town centre car parks:
We continue to make no charge to any user of council car parks in Hatfield.
Details of where the disabled bays are in Hatfield town centre car parks