You can receive a discount or be given exemption from paying council tax depending on your circumstances.

Council Tax is worked out assuming that at least two adults are living in the property.

We can:

  • Give you disablement relief if you or someone who lives with you is disabled and certain conditions apply.
  • Give you a discount of:
    • 25 per cent if you are the only adult living in your home 
    • 25 per cent if all but one person living in your home falls into one of the groups of people who are not counted
    • 50 per cent if everyone living in your home is not counted
    • 50 per cent if you own a property that is no one's main home, which is not exempt and, you are required to live elsewhere in accommodation provided by your employer under the terms of your conditions of employment.
  • Give you an exemption if your property qualifies for it.

If you are on a low income and have little savings or you are disabled, you may also be entitled to Council Tax reduction support (commonly known as Council Tax benefit). If you are entitled to a discount or disablement relief, you may still get benefit on your reduced bill.