Second Adult rebate can be claimed by a person who is liable for council tax and where there are other family members (but not partners or spouses) living in the property who are over the age of 18 and on a low income.

Examples of this may include

  • a single parent who loses their sole resident discount when their child turns 18 and starts work;
  • a single person who has an older person living with them who is on a low income.

You may be able to claim Second Adult Rebate if you have another adult living with you who is not your partner, and you are considered of pensionable age. Second Adult Rebate is worked out based upon the income and circumstances of the other adults living with you.

You cannot claim second adult rebate at the same time as council tax support cannot be claimed at the same time. If you contact us at we will work out which reduction type is worth more to you.

Any reduction you are entitled to will be paid directly into your Council Tax account and you will receive a reduced bill.