Registration and information on food businesses. These include: restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, market and other stalls, burger and ice cream vans.

Register your business

If you run a food business you must tell us about any premises or a vehicle that you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food. 
It is an offence not to be registered.

You must register with us at least 28 days before starting work if:

  • you are starting a new food business
  • the nature of the business has changed
  • you are a new proprietor.

Food Registration Form

Some food businesses are exempt from registration. Contact us for advice. A guide to Icon for pdf food hygiene for businesses is available.

All food businesses must have a written food safety management system

Safer Food Better Business helps small businesses to prepare their own food safety management system and we provide training courses regularly throughout the year to assist managers in its effective use.

What to do if staff report sickness and diarrhoea:
If staff are suffering from sickness or diarrhoea lasting more than 24 hours they should go to their GP. Check theIcon for pdf Fitness to work guide 2009 about when they can return to work or contact us for help and advice.