The council investigate complaints about food and food premises.

We will deal with food complaints that pose a public health risk, including food that:

  • is not safe to eat or actually makes you ill
  • is so contaminated that it could not reasonably be eaten, for example a mouldy pie
  • contains a foreign object, for example glass in a loaf of bread.

If you have purchased food that you are not satisfied with or have concerns about a food premises please contact us.


The action we can take

To take formal action there must be:

  • a risk to public health
  • a good chain of evidence, including details of where and when the food was bought and any relevant packaging
  • evidence that the company concerned has not taken all reasonable steps to prevent the problem.


Before contacting us

You may wish to speak to the business where you bought or ate the product. They may be able to deal with your complaint satisfactorily.

We will not get involved in compensation claims, which are a civil matter that you must take up with the manufacturer and if necessary, the courts.


What you need to do

If you would like us to investigate a complaint about food you have bought in Welwyn Hatfield, please try to keep any packaging associated with the food. If it is a highly perishable product store it in the freezer until you can bring it to our offices.

Complaints regarding the conditions of food premises, practices observed at premises, alleged case of food poisoning or complaints regarding the condition of food should be directed to the Environmental Health and Licensing Service.

Hertfordshire Trading Standards also enforce some of the food safety legislation. This mainly relates to Labelling issues. They can be contacted by phoning 01707 281898.