All Council and Committee meetings are open to the public unless exempt or confidential information is being discussed.
We welcome public participation in our meetings through the procedures and mechanisms provided.
There are separate schemes for speaking at Development Management and Licensing Committees.
Open door to democracy
Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council has an open door policy for local residents to ask pre-registered questions and present petitions. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to participate in decision making.
A period of time is set aside (if required) at the beginning of meetings (except quasi-judicial meetings and the Standards Committee) for members of the public to ask their pre-registered question of the Full Council, Cabinet, Executive Members or a committee.
Questions must be submitted in writing or by email by 12 noon five clear working days before the meeting to the address below.
- All questions must be relevant to the work of the particular meeting.
- Only one question per person may be submitted.
- If you are able to attend the meeting you can ask your pre-registered question and the chairman will provide a response.
- Your question will be read out at the meeting if you are unable to attend and a written response will be sent to you.
- Copies of all questions will be circulated to all members of the committee and will be available to the public.
Supplementary questions will not be allowed and no debate will be permitted on any question or response.Governance Services Manager
Welwyn Garden City
Members of the Governance Services Team will be happy to assist and advise on the procedures and answer any questions you may have.