Motor salvage operators must have a licence under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 from Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council.
A scrap metal dealer is defined in the 2013 Act as a person who:
- carries on a business which consists wholly or partly in buying or selling scrap metal
- carries on business as a motor salvage operator.
Businesses which buy scrapped vehicles must be licensed if they:
- wholly or partly recover salvageable parts from motor vehicles for re-use or sale and subsequently selling or otherwise disposing of the rest of the vehicle for scrap
- wholly or mainly buy written-off vehicles and subsequently repair and resell them
- wholly or mainly buy or sell motor vehicles which are to be the subject (whether immediately or on a subsequent re-sale) of any of the activities mentioned above
Trading without a licence is a criminal offence for which you can be fined up to £5000 on conviction in a magistrates' court. A conviction may also prevent you from being granted a licence in future.
More information on Scrap Metal Licensing.