You will need to apply for a license from Hertfordshire County Council to have a street cafe.

A licence is required if a café is to cover any part of the highway (footway and most pedestrianised areas). It is best to contact the Hertfordshire Highways office for your area to discuss the details before a formal application is made.

The County Council will consult a number of local agencies including the Police, Borough Council, Fire and Rescue Dept as well as the County Planners if they have been involved in a Town Scheme for the area.

If the licence is granted, it is recommended that the applicant display a copy of it in a prominent position outside the premises in question.

Please contact Hertfordshire County Council on 0300 123 4040.