Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council does not provide a drain clearing or unblocking service to owner occupiers or commercial premises.

On the 1st October 2011 the responsibility of private sewers transferred to Thames Water. If the private sewer serving your property is blocked or becomes defective please call Thames Water on 0800 316 9800.

Septic Tanks

In rural areas where there are no mains sewers, many properties are served by septic tanks. The responsibility for the emptying and maintenance of septic tanks rests with the owner or occupier of the property.

We can serve notice under Section 50 of the Public Health Act 1936 on the occupiers of premises that drain into cesspits and septic tanks if they are overflowing. If the notices are not complied with within the specified timescale then we will arrange for contractors to carry out the works in default and recover the cost from the homeowners.