The Welwyn Hatfield InterFaith Group promotes cross-faith discussion and the delivery of social action and voluntary services for the benefit of the wider community.
The group was formed in 2004 by the Welwyn Hatfield Alliance for local people of any faith. We meet every month.
We seek to...
- Bring together members of the different faiths communities in Welwyn Hatfield for deeper dialogue and cooperation
- Increase understanding and trust between different faiths, recognising common ground between them and respecting the unique contributions which each brings
- Promote recognition of the spiritual needs of people for the creation and maintenance of a healthy functioning society
- Bring a faith perspective to bear on civic affairs, both locally and nationally
- Enable and promote the work of faith groups in the delivery of social action and voluntary services for the benefit of the wider community.
So far we have...
- Gained Charity Status - charity No. 1146351
- Compiled a list of Faith Leaders on stand-by for public emergencies
- Advised on setting up Inter Faith Groups with Dacorum, Three Rivers, Stevenage and Braintree.
- Run a series of "Essence of Faith" lectures and "Rites of Passage" panel discussions
- Run a regular monthly evening meeting on matters of Faith.
- Run a series of Hosted 'Faith in Government' Public Meeting - Panel discussion with Rt. Rev. Christopher Herbert, Bishop of St. Albans, Stephen Timms MP and Alistair Burt MP.
- Hosted "Faith in the Big Society" with Grant Shapps MP, Revd Robert Beard, Jenny Kartupelis MBE and David Jonathan
- Hosted "Living your Faith in Britain Today" with the Right Revd John Sherrington, Mrs.Agnieszka Cahn, Mrs. Farouk Asheik and Barney Leith.
- Held events in National Inter Faith Week, in particular a shared supper.
- Initiated a project to present Faith to schools
Who are we?
Currently we have members from the following faith communities: Baha'i, Christian, Hindu, Jewish, Muslim and Quaker. We are also a member of the East of England Faiths Council.