(from 1 August 2021)Find out more
It is important you make sure you meet the application requirements, failure to do so will delay your application.
Planning application checklist
Before you submit an application please make sure:
- You have checked the requirements below and that all the necessary supporting information and the appropriate fee is received.
- You use properly licensed Ordnance Survey plans. You can buy an accredited Map through the Planning Portal or National Map Centre.
- The correct application fee is paid
- You have drawn up your plans (include horizontal and vertical sliding scales, drawing numbers and paper size). View Maps, Plans & Planning Applications: What to Submit for details and that the map supplied is properly licensed. If you are considering employing an architect please ensure they are registered with the Architects Registration Board - the government body which maintains the Register listing every architect in the UK.
- You have checked whether you need a design and access statement.
- You have given notice to the land owner if this is not you.
- You have checked what Planning considerations might affect your plans.
- You have read the relevant validation checklist below to see what information you need to provide for your application.
Planning application requirements
|Type of Application||Guidance Notes||Validation Checklist|
|National Requirements (applies to all applications)|
|Advertisement Consent||Guidance Notes12|
|Approval of Details Reserved by Condition (Discharge of a Condition on a Planning Permission)||Guidance Notes27||Information requirements will be dependent upon matters being discharged.|
|Conservation Area - Planning Permission for Relevant Demolition in a Conservation Area||Guidance Notes10|
|Estate Management Scheme - Welwyn Garden City|
|Full Planning Permission||Guidance Notes04|
|Householder Planning Application||Guidance Notes01|
|Lawful Development Certificate for an Existing use or Operation or Activity including those in Breach of a Planning Condition||Guidance Notes14|
|Lawful Development Certificate for a Proposed Use or Development||Guidance Notes15|
|Listed Building Consent for Alterations, Extensions or Demolition of a Listed Building||Guidance Notes11|
|Non-material Changes form (Application for Minor Changes to a Planning Permission||Guidance Notes034|
|Outline Planning Permission with some Matters Reserved||Guidance Notes05|
|Outline Planning Permission with all Matters Reserved||Guidance Notes06|
|Prior Notification - Agricultural Related||Prior notification – Agricultural related Guidance Note|
|Prior Approval - Change of Use from Agricultural Building to Flexible Use|
|Prior Approval - Change of Use from Office to Residential|
|Prior Approval - Change of Use to State Funded School|
|Prior Approval - Large Householder Extension|
|Prior Approval - Telecommunications||Prior notification – Telecommunications Guidance Note|
|Removal or Variation of a Condition following Grant of Planning Permission||Guidance Notes25|
|Reserved Matters||Reserved Matters Guidance Note|
Information requirements will be dependent upon matters being discharged.
|Works to Trees Subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) and/or Notification of Proposed Works to Trees in Conservation Areas|
- Application for Permission in Principle (effective 1 June 2018)
Once you've submitted your application
You also may need to apply for building regulation consent or other consent. Refer to our Altering your home.
Please contact us if you need any help.