What to do if your recycling or compost bin hasn't been emptied because it contains things it shouldn't.
We cannot empty bins if they contain incorrect or non-recyclable items. Normally we hang a leaflet on your bin advising you why it wasn't emptied.
If we found your bin was contaminated, you can:
- Dispose of your recycling by taking it to a local recycling centre.
- If you are able to, carefully sort through the bin to remove what shouldn't be in there. This way we'll be able to collect your bin on your next scheduled collection day. View details of what should go in your bins.
- contact us and we can arrange to empty your bin within 10 working days for a charge of £15.53. However, because the waste is contaminated, it will go to a landfill site.
Reasons why we don't collect recycling bin/s containing incorrect items
- We need to collect good, clean recycling to enable it to be recycled.
- Incorrect items (like plastic bags/films) can cause problems with machinery at the recycling facility.
- If a recycling lorry load is found to be contaminated, the whole load can end up going to landfill. This spoils everyone else's efforts to recycle.